Implant dentist may be able to replace your missing teeth through dental implants. However, he/she will recommend taking proper care of your teeth to avoid losing one of them. Keep in mind that the cost of dental implants is expensive. But they are worth every penny.
Here are some of the dental care basics that you must practice to help you avoid the expensive dental procedure.
- Brush your teeth. When brushing your teeth, you must avoid scrubbing them too vigorously. Doing so will only irritate your gums. You must make sure that you clean the inside and outside of each tooth. You should also brush the chewing surface of your tongue. And do not forget to clean your tongue. To prevent cavities, you must use fluoride toothpaste. A soft-bristled toothbrush is also highly recommended.
- Floss between your teeth. After brushing, you should not rinse your mouth with water immediately. Instead, clean the hard-to-reach areas using floss, first. You must rub the dental floss against the sides of each tooth. You must do it in a slow manner. You must be thorough with it but do it carefully to avoid irritating your gums. Once you are done flossing, it is now time for you to rinse your mouth with water.
- Use mouthwash. According to implant dentist, brushing and flossing are already enough to clean your teeth. However, mouthwash may further get rid of the bacteria that may cause cavities. If you feel the need to use a mouthwash, you must opt for a water-based or non-alcoholic product.
- Store your dental hygiene equipment in a clean container or place. Make sure that your toothbrush is stored in an upright position that allows its bristles to dry thoroughly. And before you store your brush, be sure to rinse it thoroughly with water. Dentists do not recommend storing brush in a closed container as it encourages bacterial growth. It is also advisable to replace your old toothbrush with a new one every three months.
- Undergo teeth cleaning. Brushing and flossing may eliminate food debris and avoid plaque buildup. However, having your teeth cleaned professionally will completely remove plaque that has been building up in some of your teeth. Teeth cleaning should be done twice a year for significant results. If you feel a pain in certain area of your teeth, it would be best to talk to your dentist as soon as possible.
If you have lost one of your teeth because you failed to follow the above mentioned tips, then you might need to see an implant dentist.
Photo source: americandentalstudios.com